Czech this out for a city break!

So after running another twitter poll, I'm back with my second travel post! 

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I have not long finished a 4 and a half week journey around Europe this summer, travelling through the most amazing places! My first travel post focused on my time in beautiful Venice, however this time I'm excited to take you all the way to stunning Prague.

Prague was one place that I was never that fussed about going to. However, I was travelling with my wonderful boyfriend and this was somewhere he was desperate to visit. So we went! Funnily enough, Prague was perhaps one of my favorite places we visited! I think this was primarily because, as I wasn't too eager to go in the first place and after hearing mixed reviews, I really didn't have the highest expectations. It' safe to say I was not prepared for the sheer beauty and authentic Gothic architecture that Prague has to offer.

Here are some of our snaps!
View from the Charles Bridge


An example of Prague's unique architecture


The famous Astronomical clock!


Prague is full of small roads and passages - this is one off the main square!









On the Charles Bridge at dusk


Considering that Prague is the capital of the Czech Republic, it is surprisingly small and compact. This does mean, however, that everything you want (and perhaps need) to see when you visit this remarkable city is practically on your doorstep!

As with every city, there are always things to bear in mind. Below is a short list of exactly those things:

1.) The Astronomical clock is one of the most famous landmarks when it comes to Prague, It's located in the Old Town Square and it's the first stop for many tourists. If you already know something about the clock, you will be aware that at every hour it puts on a little 'display'. As exciting as this sounds, I believe it is very overrated; the square is packed, and all that happens is two tiny figures pop out, and then go in again. I actually recorded a video and didn't really know what I was recording, announcing (probably too loudly): 'What are we actually looking at?'...says it all really! As negative as this sounds, I would still recommend a visit to the Old Town Square and the clock just because, as you can see in the pictures, it is truly stunning!

2.) The Charles Bridge, however, is worth all the hype! The only thing I would mention about this is that it is incredibly busy, even during the night! We walked across at dusk, and I can honestly say I don't think I have witnessed such beauty in my life.

3.) This one seals the deal for many I'm sure - the champagne is cheaper than the wine, and the beer is cheaper than the water (in the supermarkets anyway!)

4.) Prague in general is cheap! We stayed at a fairly good hostel right in the city center for just £8 per person, per night, for a bed in an 8 bed dorm. We also managed to do a 3 day food shop for £10...

5.) Although it's always nice to dress up for a lovely evening out, you may want to re-think heels; It's either cobbles, hills, or in the worst case, both!

Hostels, if you've never stayed in one before, are a great place to meet people all over the world, who are doing similar to what you're doing. On our first night in Prague we went out, with our new hostel friends, to a bar unknown to many...Containall bar! This bar is located alongside the river, and is in an old abandoned shipping container! It's definitely one place I would recommend visiting; it serves such a great array of drinks and has loads of outdoor seating with cute fairy lighting, and features incredible views across the river and the city center. I've linked the website here!

Well I hope this has inspired you to visit the beautiful Prague, I was truly blown away with it and will definitely be going back in the future! Thanks for reading, and I would love to hear your comments!


Comments

Popular Posts